Weight loss. A forever struggle for many people in our society today, both men and women. Let’s be honest, we’ve probably all typed “healthy meal plans for weight loss” or “how to effectively lose weight” on Google. What about all those saved “tips on weight loss” pins that we have never re-visited on Pinterest?
Do you want to be successful at weight loss? Here are ten weight loss tips that can help you achieve your goals.
1. Purpose driven weight loss. Why are you trying to lose weight? For what? Healthier lifestyle? Higher self-esteem? Write down your purpose and reason for weight loss on a piece of paper or a notebook and refer back to it to stay focused on your goals. You are more likely to achieve your goals when you have a definite purpose and motivation.
2. Goals, goals, realistic goals. Be realistic when setting your goals for weight loss. Don’t be unrealistic and write, “I am going to lose ten pounds in one week.” Take baby steps and set goals that are achievable. Identify two or three specific goals and write them down on the same piece of paper or the notebook that you wrote your purpose for weight loss. Try this formula: “In (time frame), I am going to ____(activitiy)___ (Ex. “In the next six months, I am going to healthily lose 8 lbs.”)
3. Slow down and take your time! Weight loss is not going to happen overnight. You don’t have to change everything all at once. Start with what you can. If 10 minutes of exercise is the best you can do right now, that’s fine. Go for it! If you try to change your poor eating habits and lazy lifestyle all at once, you will feel overwhelmed, frustrated and defeated. Set long-term goals for yourself, but then work on short-term, immediate goals and take things slowly.
4. Find your workout buddy. “I’m here. Come out, it’s time to go workout!” It’s easier to exercise on a regular basis when you have a workout buddy. It can be a family member, a friend, coworker, or anyone! It might be hard to go to the gym by yourself but with your workout buddy, each of you can hold the other accountable. Words of encouragement and motivation are a plus when you work with someone with similar goals.
5. Bye, potato chips… hello, veggies! Processed food may be pleasing to your taste buds but should you continue to eat them if you want to lose weight? Probably not. They contain high levels of fat, sodium, sugar, and cholesterol. So why don’t you say “No” to potato chips and cookies and fill your refrigerator with healthy food and snacks: vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean meat, fish, etc. Try to slowly incorporate more healthy food choices into your diet and limit your intake of inappropriate or processed food.
6. Exercise, but do what you really like. Do you always have to go to the gym to work out? No! Do exercise but try to find an activity that fits you. Treadmill and ellipticals are not the ultimate weight loss machines. Explore and find an activity that you enjoy doing. Consider yoga, pilates, boxing, sports dance, and so much more! The options are endless.
7. Count to 30. To conquer gluttony, it can be helpful to make sure you chew your food at least 30 times before you swallow it. Enjoy each and every bite of your food as thoroughly chewing your food will allow easier digestion and prevent overeating. Experts explain that the faster you eat, the more food you will consume. Count to 30 before swallowing so you can reduce the overall food intake.
8. Water as an appetizer. Can’t control your appetite? Try drinking a glass of water about half an hour before meals to reduce your appetite. This helps you eat fewer calories. Drinking water also boosts your metabolism and helps you burn more calories. Remember, water is great, but not all liquids are acceptable as water. That means no soda or other sugary beverages as an appetizer. Only water!
9. Good breakfast. Don’t skip on breakfast! We have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day (though not all experts agree as to its importance). A healthy breakfast can set the tone for the rest of your day and give you more energy! Try high fiber cereal, plain yogurt, fruits, or eggs. If you are busy in the morning, try meal prepping over the weekend so you can grab and go!
10. Reward yourself. Celebrate your success! All diligent people deserve a pat on the back. Create a list of non-food rewards and treat yourself to one of these rewards every time you achieve a goal. (For example, reward your body to a relaxing massage, treat yourself with a new workout outfit, go on a vacation, etc.) Help yourself to feel good about yourself and continue the motivating factors to help you stay focused on your goals.
Remember! Healthy weight loss is a slow process. You have to be patient with yourself and your body. Set specific goals, engage in fun workout activities, and maintain healthy eating habits and you will be on your way to successful weight loss. Follow these ten tips but tackle one task at a time. Don’t overwhelm yourself by trying to do everything all at once. Last and most importantly, think positive and continue to encourage yourself. Happy weight loss!